Tuesday 22 June 2010

Orson



And so onto my second child... Orson. He is 2. He is very blonde (in looks and intelligence sometimes!) and he is gorgeous. His full name is Orson Elias John Fuller. Some facts about his name- John was Marks Dad's name, and so easy to choose. Elias is the middle name of Walt Disney. Mark wanted to have some kind of Disney name for one of our children at least- but Orson would have looked silly as a Tinkerbell ;) Contrary to popular belief, we did not name him Orson after Orson Welles. We named him after the rather brilliant character of Orson in Desperate Housewives! I love his name, for me it is just the right side of quirky.






When I was pregnant for the second time I was so frightened of having a boy. I only really had experience of girls, and in my head all little boys were monsters! I also thought that boys were not affectionate, and just generally not as much fun as girls. I didn't relish the prospect of spending all my weekends standing beside a muddy, wet and cold football pitch, or hunting for creepy-crawlies. I couldn't have been more wrong.






Orson is affectionate to the point of being soppy! He is full to the brim with kisses and cuddles for everyone. He is always pleased to see everyone, even Presley who feels the need to give him a sly poke or pinch whenever she can (his punishment for being a boy!) His favourite thing to do is to snuggle up with a book and a willing Mummy or Daddy. He would stay like that for hours. Above everyone though, Orson's heart belongs to Grandma. Luckily for him, my Mum feels the same!



And as for being rough and tumble, and into all things gross... He is frightened of slides, would rather watch everyone else on the climbing frame, and its Presley who brings me worms and snails etc. If I ever need a spider moving, she's who I call.



All this makes me love him even more, its those kind of endearing qualities that will make him a lovely caring husband and Daddy one day. I remember watching an episode of 'Friends' when Monica and Chandler get their twins. She looks at the little boy and says "I'm gonna love you so hard that no woman is ever going to be good enough for you," I can now totally understand that sentiment. Although I do hope that he will meet someone lovely one day, I know it will break my heart- I think a mother can always stay close to her daughter but doesn't have the same relationship with her sons- mainly because however modern we deem society to be nowadays, it is still the man who usually goes out to work full time and the woman who spends more time at home with children.




But in the meantime I shall enjoy my boy. I love spending time with him while Presley is at school. He can talk really well and cracks me up as he tries to copy me or Presley. Only this morning he walked into the kitchen, looked at Chester in his chair and said "Hello lovely Chester, you naughty girl and have to go on naughty step my princess."

Clearly some confusion there!

Orson came into this world very quickly, my labour was 2 hours from the first twinge to the final push. He has never done anything quickly again. To be fair, he was never slow at achieving his milestones- its just that compared to Presley he seemed to take aeon's. He walked at 13 months, she did at 10 etc, etc. But he's happy the way he is. Presley loves to be pushed and challenged. He hates it. If I try and race him, he'll amble along picking flowers, or looking at what colour cars are going past. If there is something he wants to get to, rather than make the effort, he will just wait for someone to come along and help him. He will sit for ages while Presley does his hair and make-up, and he always loves the end result!
I always say he is an ideal middle child, he is so easy-going and happy with his lot. He has learnt from a very early age to 'just wait' but rather than moan about it, he just accepts. I think that Presley will always need more attention, partly due to her medical problems but also partly because she is Presley.
I think Orson and Chester will be good company for each other when they're growing up, and that's why I'm glad I had another boy. As much as Presley wanted a girl, I think she would have hated anyone else vying to be crowned Daddy's Princess, but the boys can be a team and will hopefully look out for Presley as they're growing up.
My biggest hope is that I will always have a good relationship with all my children. I do at the moment, and long may it continue!



1 comment:

  1. Boys are cuddly. Kieran is constantly telling me how much he loves me at the moment.

    I think that's my biggest fear, will I get on with my children when they're older. I so want a good relationship with them. Hopefully, being boys, and easier going, albeit lazy, (though I'm determined to drum that out of them - my daughter-in-laws will love me :-P) we should be okay. Great blog, Becky. Will read Presley's next!

    ReplyDelete